Buick Encore to come Standard with 4G LTE Connectivity, Should We Care? - Buick Encore Forum : Buick Encore Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Buick Encore to come Standard with 4G LTE Connectivity, Should We Care?

The 2015 Buick Encore, along with the LaCrosse, Regal, and Verano, will come standard with 4G LTE Connectivity. This high-speed connectivity will allow drivers to download, update, and use apps more quickly. It will also create a Wi-Fi hotspot in the vehicle that will allow several wireless devices to be connected to the high-speed data network.

Before I get into my skepticism over this new technology, let me list for you the initial apps that will be available on the app store. They are: iHeartRadio, Priceline.com, the Weather Channel, NPR, Slacker Radio, Cityseeker, Eventseeker, Glympse, and Kaliki. I won't get into what each one does, nor do I claim to know what each one does.

Here's the thing that gets me though. In order to use this Wi-Fi/4G LTE technology you are going to have to purchase a data plan for an additional charge. So you buy a data plan for your phone, and then you buy a data plan for your car so that you can use your phone to surf the internet while in your car? That just doesn't seem to be a line of reasoning that makes sense to me.

Furthermore, if you don't have a data plan for your phone, why would you get one for your car instead? Would you not want your phone to be internet capable before your car?

I'm just not convinced that people have a real demand for this. It doesn't make much sense for me. You can get most of the apps for your car on your phone which you can then plug into your car anyways.

Buick claims that this is a step forward, but I think its just a step, not sure where it's going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 05:16 PM

It comes with the feature free but the service cost money right?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:13 PM

"Free" as in the car is capable of it if you pay. So its not really very free. Its like getting a free iPhone. You are still going to have to pay for a phone and data plan before the phone actually does anything.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:24 PM

yea its just like XM

XM capable

but you have to pay for XM

SCAMS

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 PM

I dont mind paying for XM, i like it enough that i have to have it and paying for it is not a problem

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 PM

i dont really see myself using this often enough to justify paying for the data plan

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Banned

I see much more use in the XM radio service than this LTE connectivity service. Like I said before, I just think that your phone can do most of the things that these apps can.

I'll reserve judgement till I can see it in action, but I think that it is just progress for the sake of progress instead of really being that useful.

Peopl have money to burn and will buy it anyway even if its not the best service though.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Banned

I was wondering about how useful having internet in your car would really be, and then I found this AutoGuide article that discussed it a bit. here are what I think are the most interesting points.

OnStar
OnStar was a wonderful invention by GM. The addition of 4G LTE connectivity will make OnStar an even more capable technology.

Quote:
“With 4G LTE, OnStar can move beyond offering one set of safety and security services and start thinking about new things possible with a high-speed connection,” says Stuart Fowle from General Motors OnStar public communications team. “The move to 4G LTE also creates a new platform for innovation that wasn’t possible with a slower connection.”
Connectivity will make features like the RemoteLink app more responsive. That app has the ability to lock, unlock, start and find your vehicle through the smartphone app.

Service Costs
Payments will go to OnStar and not AT&T. It will be considered an additional-cost service under their subscription. Packages cost anywhere from $5 for 200 MB per month to $50 for 5 GB per month. If you already have an AT&T data plan, you can add your car to the service for $10 a month using the data you already pay.

Updates
There are plenty of apps available for infotainment systems, and they will get updated regularly with a data connection.

Quote:
Audi’s system also integrates Facebook and Twitter information and has a web radio app. There are two more unique features for Audi buyers: One is a weather service which will tell you the three-day forecast of any city you want. The other feature allows the car to use a geo-tagged photo as a destination in the navigations system. While the weather function could be actually useful from time-to-time, the picture navigation system seems like a feature no one would use. Audi buyers get six months of free internet service. Following the trial period, you can pay for a six-month/5GB plan for $99 or a $499 30GB plan that’s good for 30 months.
Other Options
Other automakers are offering services that don't require an additional cost.

Quote:
BMW’s ConnectedDrive, Infiniti Connect and UConnect Access all use mobile phone apps that can interact with the car in order to power the in-car infotainment system with an Internet connection. Of course, these are limited by the availability of your phone’s mobile data connection.
Despite all these benefits, I still am not totally convinced that in-car internet is worth the extra expenditure. I'm sure that in the near future there will be more advancement, which will come along with more apps, and that will make the whole thing make more sense.

What is In-Car Internet? » AutoGuide.com News
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 PM

5 GB is going to be a joke and already is for some. I would like to see them offer something higher.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 05:35 PM

I think OnStar is a good system but other than that I don't think that having internet in your car is a very good idea. I think it just needs time to develop. Right now in car infotainment systems are in their infancy, or maybe they are more like toddlers.

I want to see Apple and BlackBerry's go at it in the next few years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Buick Encore Forum : Buick Encore Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page