2015 Buick models will get OnStar 4G LTE Standard - Buick Encore Forum : Buick Encore Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Banned

2015 Buick models will get OnStar 4G LTE Standard

GM just announced that the 2015 LaCrosse, Regal, Verano and Encore will become the first Buick vehicles to come standard with OnStar 4G LTE technology.

Models will also come equipped with the Buick AppShop, through which drivers can download apps and stream Internet radio playlists.

In 2016, all Buick models will come with OnStar standard, so we have that to look forward to as well.

“We are focused on constantly improving the OnStar service so that the system continues to remain a trusted value-add for GM customers,” said Terry Inch, chief operating officer, OnStar. “4G LTE will enable the most powerful OnStar connection ever.”

The OnStar 4G LTE should be one of the fastest in-car applications yet. Passengers will be able to access high-speed, wireless internet through a Wi-Fi hotspot that can accommodate up to seven devices, including smartphones, laptops and tablets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:27 PM

This is great news, the faster these systems can be the more user-friendly they will be.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:09 PM

yes absolutle great news, buicks coming to a telephone pole near you...

So we crusade against distracted driving only to circumvent with ipads in the dash and cars as cellphones...

people dont want to drive... so frustrating. another ting to break down and term unreliable I suppose....

Officer I didnt mean to run down the girl on her bicycle but my 4G LTE onstar was on the fritz and I was trying to get to my facebook app when she wandered under my front tires, really there was nothing that could be done, she hit me...

Madam, you're on the sidewalk...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 05:42 PM

It does seem odd that people are so worried about smartphones and texting while driving, but if its a tablet in the car then it doesn't matter as much.

Can you actually get a facebook app on these systems???

It's pretty cool that it is coming standard though. I wonder if you still have to pay for some type of subscription or data plan though.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salizar View Post
It does seem odd that people are so worried about smartphones and texting while driving, but if its a tablet in the car then it doesn't matter as much.

Can you actually get a facebook app on these systems???

It's pretty cool that it is coming standard though. I wonder if you still have to pay for some type of subscription or data plan though.
It's funny how that works cause you can be just as distracted with that infotainment system, yet it's okay according to them

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 PM

cool to offer it standard but i'd say most people cancel after the trial ends.. just expensive per month to keep and most people havent figured a good use for it yet. or at least a worthwhile one.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguybrian View Post
cool to offer it standard but i'd say most people cancel after the trial ends.. just expensive per month to keep and most people havent figured a good use for it yet. or at least a worthwhile one.
Good point bringing that up, now it has me thinking how many people actually stick with the service.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 PM

The only useful thing about onstar I would say is the accident alert.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 04:15 PM

I do think that they should allow these systems to connect to your cellphones LTE network so you dont have to pay for two data networks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Buick Encore Forum : Buick Encore Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page