1.4L engine issues - Buick Encore Forum : Buick Encore Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

1.4L engine issues

I'm looking to buy a 2017 Buick Encore. I've heard earlier models are known for leaking oil and breaking pistons. Has this issue been fixed for the 2017 edition? Looking for advice. Any mechanics out there that can weigh in?

Also, is one engine better than the other in terms of reliability (138 hp vs 153 hp)? I looked at one with a 153 hp engine and the service records showed it already had a broken piston at only 31,000 miles. It's been fixed, but should I stay away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Today, 03:11 PM

Garage
I have been following Encore's since last year when I purchased mine. I have also had the base 1.4L in a Chevy Sonic and oil leaking and broken pistons are not common at all. In fact your mentioning it is only the second time I can recall of ever reading about it. If you do an internet search you can probably find that issue on any engine. The only issues I have seen with the base 1.4L engine have been turbo related, though again that is not that common as the Encore alone has sold over 600,000 with that engine alone, not to mention that it came on the Sonic and Cruze as well. The upgraded optional SIDI engine even though it also displaces 1.4L, is a totally different engine and higher technology that is no longer offered. I have never read anything on the larger 1.4L as far as turbo issues, etc. That is the engine I have in my 2019.

Keep in mind when you read negative things on the internet they are usually from people who are seeking answers or are frustrated. Not too many people will post saying how happy they are with their engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Buick Encore Forum : Buick Encore Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in