buick encore winter tire options - Buick Encore Forum : Buick Encore Forums
NEWS

EncoreForums.com is the premier Buick Encore Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default buick encore winter tire options

What winter tires are available in the stock rim sizing?

I've been looking at the WS70 Blizzak and the Michelin XiCe
familyguybrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

It shouldn't be too hard to find Blizzaks in a size that works for the Encore. Plus keep in mind you don't have to stick with the recommended size. Sometimes going a size up or down with the same wheel diameter will save you a good amount.

Michelin X-Ice tires are also really good and are really easy to come by.
GRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

What are some cheaper options that are still good apart from the popular 2?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

depends which equipment your Encore has stock. Encore is available with 205/70-16's or 215/55-18's.

205/70-16:
Tire rack only lists the Dunlop Grandtreck SJ6's for snow options

215/55-18:
Tire rack only lists the Blizzaks in this size

It looks like for winter options you're going to have to get a set of steel wheels as not many options are available in stock rim configs.

I highly, highly recommend you guys check out Nokian Tires, they makes hands down the BEST winter tires in the game. Nokian actually invented the winter tire.... so yea....

Oh and if thats not enough for you Nokian holds the title of fastest on ice, 208.6 mph...

they have studded and studless options..

http://www.nokiantires.com/
smokestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've also read good things about Nokians.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Only problem with running studded tires is that if you live in a big city or in suburban area's chances are you're not allowed to run studded tires. meaning a lot of buick encore owners can't do this
Old 10-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRoss View Post
Only problem with running studded tires is that if you live in a big city or in suburban area's chances are you're not allowed to run studded tires. meaning a lot of buick encore owners can't do this
so go studless... Nokian offers studded and studless options. I used to have a set of Nokian all seasons on my Ford Escape back in '05-'08. even the all seasons had plenty of grab in the snow and the tread is fantastic in the rain as well. Safest tires I've ever driven on, honestly.

Again though for the Encore if you want Nokians you're going to have to get a set of steelies, although Id rather have a set of steelies and a set of summers. Its such a pain to swap rubber every spring/fall.

Plus the initial cost of steelies are much cheaper then if you added up the labor charges of swapping rubber every other season.
Uncle Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sammy View Post
so go studless... Nokian offers studded and studless options. I used to have a set of Nokian all seasons on my Ford Escape back in '05-'08. even the all seasons had plenty of grab in the snow and the tread is fantastic in the rain as well. Safest tires I've ever driven on, honestly.

Again though for the Encore if you want Nokians you're going to have to get a set of steelies, although Id rather have a set of steelies and a set of summers. Its such a pain to swap rubber every spring/fall.

Plus the initial cost of steelies are much cheaper then if you added up the labor charges of swapping rubber every other season.
Having a different set of wheels for winters is always the best thing to do, saves you a good amount of money in the long run and gives you the option of mounting them yourself instead of going to a shop.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

i usually run studless. Studs aren't really needed really. Unless you deal with a situation where the snow stays on the ground through the entire winter and doesn't get shoveled. Or if there is lots of ice involved. Not that common really.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

It would suck if you had to run studless, that could only mean one thing that area is freaking cold so the snow stays and turns in to ice. The roads would be quite chewed up too.
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement